Last weekend, I took a trip to the Sandy Ridge Reservation in Lorain county. I love going to this reservation because of the number and diversity of birds I can see. But, in the late summer, the colors interest me as much as the birds. Late summer wildflowers, like tickseed and goldenrod, are on full display. On a stormy day, I love the contrast of the bright yellow flowers with the dark grey of the sky.
I often look to nature to find inspiration in my soap making. I gravitate towards the color blue. It reminds me of the summer sky and I tend to use it over and over. But, after my trip to the park, I posted a picture of a monarch caterpillar on Facebook. One of my followers mentioned that its colors would look great in a soap and I couldn’t agree more! So, I’m planning a new soap that will incorporate these amazing black, white and yellow stripes. I’ll be sure to provide updates on my progress!
I didn’t find a lot of birds at the park during this trip but I did find a lot of inspiration so I thought I’d share some of my favorite pictures from the day.
Where do you find inspiration for your art? Share your thoughts in the comments section!
Things have been heating up around Emmet Street this week. Literally. Northeast Ohio summer heat and humidity have arrived, but we’re making the best of it (it sure beats snow).
I hit the road and traveled to my homeland to let my dad know I’m glad he helped create me and give him some tokens of my affection.
Christine started planning the haul for the next ESC road trip and counting the hours until The Flea at the Evaporator Works this Saturday (we’ll be there from 9-5, the wonderful scent wafting from our booth acting as a siren’s call to shoppers), come out and be enchanted!
There are so many creative soap makers that inspire us. Check out some of our favorite finds on Pinterest! (Are we pinning buddies there? We should be.)
- Watermelon Sugar Scrub Soap – Summer fun involves eating watermelon and, for some, hitting the beach. This soap looks good enough to eat and gets your skin ready for its post-tan glow.
- Lavender Lemonade Soap – What’s better than sipping on lemonade in the summer? Smelling like it in the shower!
- Lime in the Coconut Soap– Christine will tell you mojitos are the perfect summer cocktail. The scent of this soap will take you back to your favorite summertime cocktail hour.
Good, clean fun
If you’re not following us on Facebook, here’s some of the fun you missed:
- Saltine Crack Ice Cream Recipe – Well played, Smitten Kitchen. This looks like food crack. Delicious, delicious food crack.
- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits Recipe – Apparently we were drawn to all things gluttonous this week on our Facebook page. Dang, these look good.
- Have you tried the OXO GreenSaver? – Here’s our penance for the food porn: we started thinking about salad again. Based on this review from The Kitchn, I think I’m going to give this product a whirl. Have you tried it? Is it worth the clams to ditch the clamshell containers?
Previous musings from Emmet Street you might have missed
It’s been so hot and humid around my place I’ve been thinking about all things water based (when I haven’t been daydreaming about crack ice cream or cheesy biscuits). This lavender lemonade and watermelon and feta salad are some tasty ways I’ll keep myself hydrated.