“That’s right, humans, come a little closer. I’m perfectly harmless.”
I’ve been taking some much needed time off the last few weeks. Matt and I traveled to Costa Rica for the second time and had a wonderful vacation. We went to three different areas, saw 118 species of birds (74 new life birds) and many different animals including spider monkeys (who, thankfully, did not come at us).
The highlight of the trip? Seeing baby sea turtles emerging from their nests and making a run for the ocean in Tortuguero National Park. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so close to the force of Mother Nature as I did watching these tiny little hatchlings fight their way out of the nesting hole, across the sand and to the ocean. I’m not ashamed to say I cried a little. You can view a video of the turtles (not me crying) here. (Disclaimer: I am not a professional videographer.) You’ll hear a guide instructing a group of tourists to be careful about where they walk. She was as excited about seeing the turtles as everyone else!
Needless to say, I have done much soap making the last few weeks but I’m still on the look out for inspiration! Check out some of my favorite finds on Pinterest! (Are we pinning buddies there? We should be.)
- Felted soap sheep – Have you ever tried felted soap? It’s a bar of soap that is covered with felted wool so you get your soap and wash cloth all in one! This whimsical design from Bondurant Mountain Art would make a great gift for a child.
- Christmas penguin – I tried making felted soap once. It’s harder than it looks! Which is why I’m amazed by the intricate design in this soap from Mountain Scentament
- Sea coral – Twiddle and Thread has a great collection of felted soaps on their Etsy site, including this stunning soap in beautiful contrasting colors.
Good, clean fun
If you’re not following me on Facebook, here’s some of the fun you missed:
- Cat head scent – I had no idea cat heads smelled like anything. My cat barely lets me pet her, let alone sniff her head.
- Just say no to microbeads in your beauty products – Thanks to a bill recently passed by the house, the use of microbeads may soon be a thing of the past. In the meantime, please avoid using products with these harmful substances.
- DIY air freshener – I actually tried this and it works!
Previous musings from Emmet Street you might have missed
Emmet Street Creations turned 2 years old on December 6! If you’ve been a loyal reader or customer, thank you! Your support means the world to me! If you’re just joining the adventure and want to read about how it all started, check out the four episode series, “Christine’s big (soap) adventure:”