Last week, a man broke my heart. I’ve spent the majority of my evenings with this man for the last decade. He made me laugh, cry (often at the same time) and think critically about the events of the day. He helped me process the horror of world events, recommended fascinating books and was always able to bring a smile to my face.
That man’s name is Jon Stewart and last week, he filmed his last episode of The Daily Show. Thanks for all the great times, Jon. You’ve brought so much laughter into my life and you will be missed.
And now, your soapy moments of zen.
There are so many creative soap makers that inspire us. Check out some of our favorite finds on Pinterest! (Are we pinning buddies there? We should be.)
- Peacock swirl soap – This swirled soap from Lovin’ Soap Studio is mesmerizing.
- Winter forest – The warm colors and simple design in this soap from bbee’s soapsite almost make me long for winter. Almost.
- Naples – What I really long for is white sandy beaches and blue water. Handmade in Florida’s soap could tide me over until vacation.
Good, clean fun
If you’re not following us on Facebook, here’s some of the fun you missed:
- When is it OK to help a baby bird? – Find out when it is and isn’t OK to help that baby bird you found.
- #hashtag – The hashtag has taken over social media. Find out where it all started.
- The science of starling murmurations – I’ve always been fascinated by starlings and their beautiful designs in the sky.
Previous musings from Emmet Street you might have missed
It’s hard to believe August is upon us and school will be starting soon. It’s time to enjoy the last few weeks of summer! What better way to do that than a quick weekend getaway? My favorite Ohio vacation spot is Hocking Hills State Park. It’s filled with family friendly natural beauty. If you’re looking to stay closer to home, why not take in a baseball game, enjoy a hot dog and impress your friends and family with some interesting hot dog facts. Not into sports or tubes of meat? We’ve got you covered with this tasty vegan black bean burger recipe. Try it at your next cookout!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy the summer months? Share your ideas in the comments section!