Salvaging a failed batch of handcrafted soap

I have a confession to make. Sometimes, I make really ugly soap. I don’t do it intentionally, believe me. I have an idea in my head and it seems like a good idea until I start to pour the soap.

Check out my latest failure:

I want to look away but I can’t.

I was going for a spring inspired honeysuckle scented confetti soap with cute flowers on the top. My original plan was to use a white, shea butter base as a background, which would have really made the colors pop.

At the last minute, I diverted from the plan when a pretty light blue mica caught my eye. I thought that mica would look great in clear glycerin. Not only did it not look at all like I thought it would, I had a big problem with air bubbles and the pink flowers all but disappeared.

It looked so much better in my head.

Feeling dejected, I set this soap aside for a few weeks while I focused on other creations. But, the failed batch didn’t leave my mind; I needed to salvage it somehow. The loaf was four pounds of melt and pour soap and I didn’t want it to go to waste.

So, when I had a little time in my schedule, I broke out the ugly soap and formed a plan. I decided to chop it into tiny pieces and embed those pieces into a new loaf, this time using the white shea butter base I had originally planned to use.

I filled the bottom of my loaf mold with the cut up pieces and filled the loaf half way up with the shea butter base.

DSC01714

After that layer formed a thick skin, I poured the other half of the white base and added a tiny bit of left over pink glycerin soap to give the top a slight blush. I used a spoon to move the top layer around as the soap cooled to get the texture. I’m pretty happy with the new design and the soaps smell lovely.

This is what I meant to do all along. Yeah, that’s right.
In case you were wondering, I did try my original floral design again. The second attempt was more successful (it really is true that you learn from your mistakes!), but that’s a blog post for another day.
This pretty shea butter and glycerin soap is now available in the Emmet Street Creations Etsy store. Don’t make the mistake of waiting to add this soap to your collection… this product is a limited edition!

6 thoughts on “Salvaging a failed batch of handcrafted soap

    • Thanks, Marte! It’s all a part of the learning process, right? I love that melt and pour is so easy to salvage. I haven’t figured out how to salvage my cold process mess ups but I’m working on that.

      • Absolutely! So far I haven’t tried making cold process soap, so I have no idea myself. In my experience, all soaps can be cut to be cute, for an example using a wavy cutter 🙂

  1. I am laughing so hard right now at many comments within your post because I KNOW the feeling! Your ‘after’ version came out truly lovely! Well done.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s